Primrose Hill Eats: Orange & Raisin Slice
Try something different this Christmas with a sweet treat that is vegan, gluten-free and low in sugar. This recipe from Ripe Kitchen is bread pudding’s zestier relative and is full of seasonal cheer.
Measurements for wet ingredients are given in grams to ensure baking success (and cut down on washing up!).
Ingredients (makes 12 slices)
- 150g sweet potato (raw, peeled and roughly chopped)
- 4 large dates (deseeded)
- 215g almond milk
- 75g almond butter
- 45g coconut oil (melted)
- 45g organic golden caster sugar
- 20g psyllium husks
- 13g vanilla extract
- 140g organic gluten-free flour mix (we use Doves Farm)
- 15g gluten-free baking powder
- zest and flesh (pith removed) of 1 orange
- 105g raisins
- pinch of ground cloves
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- 30g coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Blend the sweet potato, dates, almond milk, almond butter, melted coconut oil, sugar, vanilla extract, and orange zest and flesh in a food processor until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, psyllium husks, baking powder, cloves, cinnamon and raisins.
- Fold the dry mixture through the wet mixture, but be careful not to overmix.
- Line a 9-inch square baking tray with baking paper and pour in the mixture. Sprinkle the coconut flakes on top. Bake for one hour.
- Leave to set in the fridge for two hours, then cut into 12 pieces.
Photo by Sarah Louise Ramsay at www.slrphotography.co.uk