Capture the spirit of spring in your kitchen with this easy signature recipe from Sweet Things.
If you prefer to use the all-in-one method, cream the cake ingredients (except the milk) in a food processor, adding milk as necessary at the end to achieve dropping consistency.
For the cake:
- 180 g butter, softened
- 180 g caster sugar
- 180 g plain flour
- 3 free-range eggs
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp Madagascan vanilla extract
- Up to 3 tbsp milk
For the drizzle:
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- 100 g granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C for fan ovens)/gas mark 6.
- Place the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and cream using a hand-mixer or wooden spoon.
- Mix the flour and baking powder in a separate bowl.
- Mix the eggs and vanilla extract in another bowl.
- Beat some of the egg and vanilla mixture into the creamed butter and sugar, then some of the flour. Repeat until everything is mixed, finishing with the last of the flour.
- Add milk until dropping consistency is achieved (this is when the mixture drops reluctantly from a spoon).
- Transfer the mix to a 2 lb loaf tin lined with grease proof paper and bake for 30–40 minutes.
- To test that the cake is cooked, insert a skewer: if it comes out clean, the cake is ready. If your cake is getting rather brown on top, place a piece of grease proof paper over it for the last 10 minutes of cooking. Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 15 minutes (set a timer).
- After 15 minutes, make the drizzle by combining the lemon zest and juice with the granulated sugar, and pour this over the cake in the tin.
- Allow to cool before removing from the tin.