There is currently an epidemic of phone thefts in our area, and London in general.
Advice to thwart the thieves:
- Try not to use your phone when walking through the streets. Thieves on stolen mopeds and cycles are expert at spotting expensive phones and often work in pairs.
- “Hugger muggers” are affectionate strangers who flatter you, or pretend to be drunk and throw themselves at you, but in reality they’re whipping your phone out of your back pocket.
- Take care when summoning an Uber or seeing how close it is. That’s a perfect moment for a thief to pounce.
- Don’t put valuables on the front seat of your car when you’re driving.
- Café theft is common. A friendly looking stranger comes to your table to ask for directions or local advice and meanwhile hides your phone under a map or menu and then sneaks off with it after the conversation is over.
- Bored at the bus stop and checking your phone? That’s an ideal time for an opportunist to grab hold of it.
- Utilise Find My Phone and immobilise.com
- Don’t store personal details on a phone which a thief could use.