This month Primrose Bakery provide the recipe for an extremely rich Easter treat, hugely popular with adults and children alike.
They are not really cupcakes but they are incredibly easy to make and look great with Easter decorations. It is surprisingly hard to resist eating more than one, but they can be stored in an airtight container for up to three days.
Makes 10 regular or 30 mini cupcakes
For the nests
- 50 g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 260 g Mars bars, chopped into 1 cm pieces
- 150 g cornflakes
For the icing
- 130 g good-quality dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
- 170 g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- ¾ tbsp milk (at room temperature)
- ¾ tsp good-quality vanilla extract
- 190 g icing sugar, sifted
- Easter chicks or rabbits, or small chocolate eggs
- Line your chosen muffin tray(s) with cupcake cases.
- Melt the butter and golden syrup in a saucepan over a low heat, stirring constantly. Add the Mars bar pieces and keep stirring until just melted. Remove from the heat and
gently stir in the cornflakes until coated, taking care not to crush them.
- Press a spoonful of the mix loosely into each cupcake case and leave them to cool and
- To make the icing, melt the chocolate, either in a microwave (taking care not to burn it) or in a glass bowl over a pan of simmering water, until smooth and of a thick pouring consistency.
Leave to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter, icing sugar, milk and vanilla extract until smooth; this can take a few minutes with an electric hand-mixer. Add the melted
chocolate and beat again until thick and creamy.
- Once the nests are completely cool, spread a small amount of buttercream icing on the centre of each nest and add your decorations.
Primrose Bakery, 69 Gloucester Avenue, NW1 8LD