The Pirate Castle, situated on the Regent’s Canal, has been flying its flag for community boating activities since 1966. They promote learning, life chances and healthy living through kayaking, canoeing, canal boating and training and volunteer initiatives. As a community charity they strive to tackle disadvantage, challenge exclusion and support the more vulnerable members of our community. Free and affordable activities for local kids, young adults, elders and SEND (special needs and disability) groups of all ages are provided. They also work with specialist and mainstream schools, Pupil Referral Units, local youth and voluntary groups and support agencies in order to broaden the health, wellbeing and enrichment opportunities which are available to our local community and beyond.
Through this combined commitment to affordability, inclusivity and opening up the waterway for all to enjoy, The Pirate Castle is a truly irreplaceable community asset. However as a result covid-19, they have lost £100,000 in the past year, and desperately need help to stay afloat and continue their amazing work.
Covid-19 has made life harder for everybody. Coping with lockdowns and restrictions, isolation from family, friends and support networks, health or financial worries and uncertainty for the future are challenges we all face; but it’s tougher for our youth and those already struggling due to hardship, disability, mental or physical health issues or turbulent home lives.
The need for The Pirate Castle has never been greater. They’re determined to survive this crisis and continue being a safe, stimulating and supportive destination where local kids and people of all backgrounds and abilities can let off steam, feel better about themselves and learn new skills on the waterway.
Please throw them a lifeline on:
Examples of how donations will help:
- £30 funds a new buoyancy aid or essential safety kit for youth, disability and community paddlesport sessions
- £100 funds a British Canoeing paddlesport instructor to run a day’s activities for up to 8 kids. Larger groups need 3 – 4 instructors each day!
- £250 funds a 3-hour cruise on their accessible canal boat for SEND groups, families in hardship or vulnerable local residents
- £400 funds accredited canal boat skipper or crew training & mentoring for one of their amazing volunteers
- £500 funds biodegradable sanitiser to keep our boat fleet, equipment and venue Covid-secure for 1 month
- £1,700 funds essential annual safety checks, maintenance, licensing, insurance & running costs for one of their canal boats
- £7,800 funds a month’s core running costs – retaining key staff and keeping the venue operational
Don’t let The Pirate Castle sink! Every doubloon and piece of eight matters – please give as generously as you can to help them survive & thrive!
Thank you, m’hearties!