As love is always in the air at L’Absinthe (and not just on Valentine’s Day), here is JC’s easy, classic crème brûlée.
If you don’t have absinthe, it’s equally good with other liqueurs, such as Grand Marnier.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 80 g caster sugar
- 80 g egg yolks
- 400 ml whipping cream
- 30 ml absinthe
- Brown sugar
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar until they are incorporated, then beat in the whipping cream, followed by the absinthe.
- Divide the mixture into four ramekins and leave to rest in the fridge for 10–12 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 140°C. Place the ramekins into a large roasting tray and pour in enough boiling water to come half way up their outsides. Cook for 1 hour until the custards are just set.
- Allow to cool, then sprinkle brown sugar over the top. Caramelise with a blow torch or under the grill.
- …. and if that doesn’t work you can always come and have it with us!
40 Chalcot Road, NW1 8LS
Photo by Sarah Louise Ramsay slrphotography.co.uk