This recipe from Differenza is inspired by the famous typical Sicilian dish, pasta alla Norma. The dish was supposedly named by the famous Sicilian actor, Nino Martoglio: after being presented with the dish and tasting the delicious flavours, he exclaimed, ‘This is Norma!’ He was comparing the dish to a famous opera by Vincenzo Bellini.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 400 g fusilli
- 300 g cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- Bunch of basil
- 1 clove garlic
- 3–4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 aubergine
- 120 g smoked ricotta
- 4 tbsp of pesto
- Pan fry half the olive oil with the garlic and cherry tomatoes. Add the torn-up basil leaves.
- Cook the pasta in boiling water with a little salt.
- Cut the aubergine into small batons and pan fry in the remaining olive oil.
- Toss the pasta with the prepared tomatoes and garlic.
- Serve up the pasta, add the fried aubergine, grate smoked ricotta on top and finish with pesto.
38 Primrose Hill Road, NW3 3AD