The first vicar of St Mary’s church was Charles Fuller who attracted a group of pious young women, one of which, Mary Emily André gifted the church £3000 on condition that the vicar married her. Shrewdly he did, and the money secured a permanent church for St Mary’s, which previously had only been a temporary building between Ainger Road and Oppidans Road.
In July 1872, St Mary’s Church was first dedicated and opened as a serving church. To celebrate 150 years, Rev Marjorie Brown, and the churchwardens are inviting guests to join them on Sunday 3 July in a procession and High Mass at 10.30am followed by a buffet lunch, and Solemn Evensong at 6pm.
The Rt Reverend and Rt Hon Dame Sarah Mullally pictured, Lord Bishop of London (pictured) will be presiding over the service, with the premier of the Wilton Mass setting by Ben Parry, which has been especially commissioned for the anniversary.
Please use link to reserve a seat at the morning service, and for lunch. No prior booking is required for evensong.